God is in the (not so) Small Stuff
Recently, my husband and I travelled to Nebraska with 2 of our grandsons. We went to visit my parents and to take the kids to the county fair (which is a big deal where I come from!) Reflecting on that trip, I began to see a theme of God being in the ‘little things’…things I too often take for granted. The following is a short list of thing I noted, but certainly it could be much longer!
- Joel and I have jobs…that allow us to take time off…and get paid for it!
- We can easily travel to wherever we want to go. We have a car; we can afford gas; there are paved roads to follow to our destination; we were protected from mechanical or human failure and thus kept safe.
- Eager grandsons ready to go on an adventure
- The laughter of children – not too many things better than that!
- Peacefully sleeping grandchildren following a day of adventures. 😊
- Millions upon millions of wildflowers swaying in the breeze.
- Corn fields as far as the eye can see.
- The heat, the humidity (that’s why everything grows so well!), swimming pools, showers, and air-conditioning!
- Octogenarian parents who are able to live in their own home and live relatively active lives.
- Small towns full of people caring for each other.
- County Fairs: the hustle and bustle of people, people proudly displaying their finished products after months of preparation, livestock – the sights, the sounds, the smells!, families out having fun, jr-hi girls in line on the midway, jr-hi boys trying to act cool for the jr-hi girls, baseball, tractor pulls, and food, food, and more food!
- The long ride home – waiting to see the mountains from I-76.
- Being back at church with our church family.
- Spending the afternoon at Coors Field with our daughter’s family and our Peace family.
Taken one by one all these ‘little things’ seem just that: little. But add them up day after day, week after week, year after year, and I stand amazed at how God is attending to all the details my life (and yours). None of the above has much to do with the basic necessities of food, clothing, and shelter, but it has everything to do with God providing these ‘little’ moments in my life just for the sheer joy of it.
1 Timothy 6:17b refers to ‘God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy’. My goal is to make more of a point of taking a step back from my everyday busy-ness and take a moment to appreciate more of the ‘little things’ God so richly provides just because He wants me to enjoy them…and to take a moment to say, ‘Thank You’.
Praying that you, too, have a cup running over with ‘little things’!
Dawn Lubker, Ministry Assistant